The Weider 2980 Home Gym is great for people just looking to lift a little bit in their spare time. It's one of the most affordable models around with great features. You receive 6 workout stations providing more than 36 different exercises. Plus, thick foam padding keeps your arms and legs comfy the entire time.
Is the Weider 2980 Home Gym best for you?
The Weider 2980 Home Gym is able to stay so affordable because it utilizes vinyl weight plates as opposed to cast iron. It's similarly durable, so you should be able to go years without any issues. Compared to what you would spend on a gym membership, you end up breaking even and saving money in no time.
This machine is recommended for beginner and intermediate users. It's for people who don't plan on entering bodybuilding competitions any time soon. It's for people who just want to improve their health without taking up a ton of space in their homes. It has one of the smallest footprints around, so even people in apartments should be able to find a space for it.
Consider Weider 2980 Home Gym if...
- You need plenty of workouts. This machine comes with 6 workout stations total, providing at least 36 different exercises. The high pulley, low pulley, leg attachment, curl pad, chest press, and pec fly keep your body on its toes.
- You want comfort. This home gym includes thick padding and durable upholstery so that every limb on your body is able to perform as many reps as possible.
- You like something compact. This model is fairly small. Even if you live in an apartment, you should be able to find room for it.
Avoid Weider 2980 Home Gym if...
- You need to upgrade. The weight resistance on this machine only goes up to 81 pounds. With resistance from the pulleys, it can go as high up as 240 pounds. If you want to really bulk up, then you're going to need something heavier eventually.
- You want a better exercise chart. According to some reviews, it looks like the chart this machine comes with isn't specific to the 2980. There are exercises you're unable to perform with this particular model, so some people may find it confusing.
- You like adjustability. You can't alter the angle on the curl pad.
Weider 2980 Home Gym pros & cons
- Sturdy steel frame
- Multi-grip high lat bar
- Dual function fly station and chest press
- Low cord for rowing
- No upgrades
- Issues with manual
What areas of the body does Weider 2980 Home Gym target?
- Arms: The curl pad attachment is great for working out biceps.
- Legs: The leg attachment offers an assortment of leg-based exercises, including extensions and presses.
- Chest: The chest fly station is exceptional for targeting pectoral and deltoid muscles.
- Back: Your back muscles get the attention they deserve with the high-pulley station.
- Shoulders: The high-pulley station also works great for your shoulders.
Is the Weider 2980 Home Gym easy to use?
It takes some time to put this model together. You also need to make sure you have your own screwdriver, ratchet set, and wrench to finish assembly. Once it's up, you shouldn't have an issue moving from one station to the next.
Key Weider 2980 Home Gym Specs
Reasons to buy Weider 2980 Home Gym?
- You just want a little exercise. This model isn't made for people who want to seriously compete in sports. If you just want to stay in shape and improve your health, it's fine for you.
- You're on a budget. The Weider 2980 is among the most affordable home gyms around. While some cost well over $2,000, like the Bowflex Revolution, you can typically find this one for just a few hundred bucks.
- You like silence. Unlike other machines, this home gym doesn't make a ton of noise. If you live in an apartment, then you aren't going to disturb your neighbors, which is always a good thing.
Reasons to avoid Weider 2980 Home Gym?
- You want a lengthier warranty. The 90-day parts and labor warranty is a bit disappointing. It's not a ton of coverage, so make sure you take care of this device to ensure it lasts.
What real Weider 2980 Home Gym reviews say
We spent 18 hours scouring the web (reading over 253 customer reviews). Our conclusion? Weider 2980 Home Gym receives high praise! Our average consolidated user rating sits around a 4.6 - 4.8 (across several hundred reviews). Weider 2980 Home Gym scored higher, on average, compared to their closest competitors.
What reviewers like
- "The machine is easy to use and quick to change for different workouts."
- "Love this machine, fricken excellent price."
- "I would recommend this gym for the average person who just wants to maybe build up a little bit."
- "This machine is very versatile and you can work many different muscle groups with it."
- "Great variety of exercise, it [covers] almost all body muscles."
What reviewers dislike
- "Takes a while to assemble."
- "Be sure to organize and verify your pieces before putting everything together!"
- "The instructions aren’t great."
- "It’s not as stable. When I sit down and workout, I need to move slowly in order to avoid the movement."
- "Have to be careful if you have kids at home, make sure they are not nearby."
The Weider 2980 Home Gym is one of the most affordable weight lifting systems around. If you don't have a ton of money to spend on a bunch of different weights, then this machine gets the job done. It may not get you buff, but it provides a decent-enough workout that allows you to burn calories and enhance endurance.
The fact it can't be customized is a bit disappointing, but you get what you pay for. Fortunately, you're still able to replace weights with other ones should a piece break on you. Ultimately, this device is for beginners who don't plan on lifting a ton.
Where to buy Weider 2980 Home Gym
Amazon has a great Weider 2980 Home Gym for sale. It's offered for an exceptional price and even comes with free shipping.