The Schwinn 420 elliptical is a well-priced piece of machinery. It comes equipped with everything you need for solid workouts, including 12 pre-programmed workouts, an 18-inch stride length, and 16 resistance levels. With this elliptical, you can get in shape without breaking the bank.
Is the Schwinn 420 Elliptical best for you?
For the price tag, the Schwinn 420 elliptical comes with more features than you might expect. It comes with a BioFit design that keeps your body comfortable. It has an ergonomic design to the handlebars and footpads, so you can exercise in varying positions.
But that's just the half of it. You also get built-in speakers in addition to an MP3 port. You can hook up your device to the machine and listen to music for all to hear. There's even an accessory tray, so you can keep a book handy in case you need something to hold your attention. In terms of performance and design, it's a fairly respectable model.
Consider Schwinn 420 Elliptical if...
- You need to pedal forward and backward. This elliptical comes with bi-directional pedaling. This allows you to target different muscle groups depending on which way you move.
- You want to work out your upper body, too. The moving handlebars give your arms as much of a workout as your legs.
- You like heart rate monitoring. With the monitoring feature, you can make sure your heart rate remains within the target range you want.
Avoid Schwinn 420 Elliptical if...
- You plan on using iFit Live. While you can sync iFit with more modern ellipticals, that's not the case with this one. The programs that come installed are the ones you get.
- You'd like an incline. This machine doesn't provide an incline, which is normally great for challenging your body and burning more calories.
- You want a longer warranty. A lot of the reviews point out how the warranty on this device is shorter than what you get elsewhere. It should last a while, but many people prefer to have greater protection.
Schwinn 420 Elliptical pros & cons
- 16 resistance levels
- Ergonomic handles
- Eddy current braking
- Integrated grip heart rate system
- No incline
- Limited warranty
Construction and design
- Flywheel: You can enjoy smooth, consistent exercises thanks to the perimeter-weighted flywheel that provides you with high levels of inertia.
- Pedals: Bi-directional pedaling allows you to move both backward and forward to target different muscle groups.
- Handlebars: The handlebars are designed to be ergonomic, so you can get ahold of them from any angle you desire.
- Console: Plenty of useful features come standard on this machine, including built-in speakers and an MP3 music input port. It also comes with an accessory tray that holds books, magazines, and other types of media.
- Resistance: There are 16 resistance levels on this machine, each one more punishing than the last.
- Built-in Programs/Features: You have 12 workout programs to choose from. Some are even customizable to allow you to work out on your own terms.
Key Schwinn 420 Elliptical Specs
Reasons to buy Schwinn 420 Elliptical?
- You're just starting out with exercising. The Schwinn 420 is a solid entry-level model. It's a good price considering what features it comes with. However, more advanced trainees may want something with a bit more resilient resistance.
- You like staying cool. With a built-in fan, you can keep the sweat out of your eyes as you exercise.
- You have sensitive joints. Ellipticals in general are great for individuals with joint problems. It's easier on your knees and ankles, so you don't require as much downtime after a workout.
Reasons to avoid Schwinn 420 Elliptical?
- You want greater convenience. More advanced ellipticals provide you with quick controls. That's not the case here.
- You want a more readily accessible model. The Schwinn 420 was released in 2012. It's since been discontinued, so it can be tough to find.
What real Schwinn 420 Elliptical reviews say
We spent 18 hours scouring the web (reading over 253 customer reviews). Our conclusion? Schwinn 420 Elliptical receives high praise! Our average consolidated user rating sits around a 4.6 - 4.8 (across several hundred reviews). Schwinn 420 Elliptical scored higher, on average, compared to their closest competitors.
What reviewers like
- "At this price point I have no complaints about fit and finish or usability."
- "This gives me a complete workout from my shoulders to my ankles."
- "It's a great workout. I've really toned up and have started losing the "inner tube" around my middle."
- "It's quiet. I can do my workout at 5:45 in the morning without waking anyone else up."
- "This is an excellent exercise product: well engineered and well built."
What reviewers dislike
- "The display is weak, like the reviews say."
- "My only complaint is the fan, it is not very powerful and really all but useless."
- "The screen is tough to read."
- "The only drawback for me is that I'm short and it's a large machine."
- "I can't figure out how to store my information."
With the Schwinn 420 elliptical you can target an array of muscle groups thanks to the bi-directional pedaling. Plus, the perimeter-weighted flywheel offers smooth inertia that make your workouts feel second-to-none.
If you're looking for an elliptical with a few more upgrades, then you may want to consider upgrading to the Schwinn 430. It comes with many of the same features as this one in addition to some nice bonuses, such as up to 22 preset programs. But if you're looking to cut back on costs, then the 420 may be more your speed.
Where to buy Schwinn 420 Elliptical
The Schwinn 420 elliptical is available for a great deal on Amazon. Many Schwinn products are offered on the site, so you can see if there's anything else you'd like to add to your home gym.