The Schwinn Airdyne AD4 is an old-school but still useful exercise bike. The heavy flywheel offers smooth resistance as well as an infinite number of resistance levels. With a compact design, you can fit it practically anywhere in your home.
Is the Schwinn Airdyne AD4 best for you?
The Schwinn Airdyne AD4 is an upright stationary bike that utilizes an air resistance system to apply pressure. This is in contrast to the magnetic resistance system you find with many modern bikes. That means the harder you pedal, the more resistance you receive. So the intensity of your workout is entirely up to you.
Not only do your legs get an excellent workout, but you can pump iron in your arms, too. The dual-action arm handles allow you to move your arms in sync with your legs, providing a full-body routine. It's a great addition to any home gym and perfect for people who don't need a lot of superfluous extras.
Consider Schwinn Airdyne AD4 if...
- You need simple assembly. Based on reviews, it looks like a lot of people don't really have any issues setting it up independently. It's user-friendly and comes with instructions to show you how to proceed.
- You want to work out your upper body, too. Most people think of exercise bikes as something essential for working out your legs. However, the Airdyne AD4 come with moving handlebars, so you can exercise muscles in your arms and chest as well.
- You like infinite resistance levels. With a fan operation, this bike offers countless levels of resistance. You can go for a nice, easy jaunt if you want, or you can push yourself to the limit.
Avoid Schwinn Airdyne AD4 if...
- You want greater lumbar support. There's no back to the Airdyne AD4's seat. People with bad backs may want to look somewhere else that better supports your spine.
- You want more workout programs. This bike features 2 workout programs. Considering some bikes come with as many as 30, it's a light by comparison.
- You need to move often. This bike weights about 96 pounds. There are wheels to help you, but some reviewers have stated how it's still tough to move on your own.
Schwinn Airdyne AD4 pros & cons
- LCD display
- Compact size
- Dual-action arm handles
- Infinite resistance levels
- Only 2 workout programs
- No transport wheels
Construction and design
- Seat: The seat comes with extra padding to help cushion your bottom as you pedal.
- Pedals: It comes with standard pedals. The harder the force you apply to them, the greater the level of resistance you receive.
- Handlebars: You place your hands on each of the dual-action arm handles. These move your arms in conjunction with your legs for a full-body workout.
- Console: The console on this device is battery-powered. It displays RPM, calories, distance, time, and other useful stats.
- Built-in Programs: There are 2 built-in programs.
Key Schwinn Airdyne AD4 Specs
Reasons to buy Schwinn Airdyne AD4?
- You like low-impact exercises. This bike is highly recommended for people going through physical therapy. It's easy on the knees, so you can have a more productive recovery.
- You want something that lasts. Many reviews praise how long the Airdyne AD4 has lasted. This is one stationary bike that isn't built to break after a few years thanks to its construction of high-quality parts.
- You want peace of mind. A 30-year warranty on the frame is unheard of. It's great to know that if anything should happen to your bike's frame over the next few decades, you're protected.
Reasons to avoid Schwinn Airdyne AD4?
- You don't want a noisy machine. Some reviewers have written how loud the Airdyne AD4 can get. It may be difficult to watch TV or concentrate on a good bike as you're cycling.
- You have mobility issues. The seat on the Airdyne AD4 is a bit high. Individuals who have trouble moving may find it hard to get up there.
What real Schwinn Airdyne AD4 reviews say
We spent 18 hours scouring the web (reading over 253 customer reviews). Our conclusion? Schwinn Airdyne AD4 receives high praise! Our average consolidated user rating sits around a 4.6 - 4.74 (across several hundred reviews). Schwinn Airdyne AD4 scored higher, on average, compared to their closest competitors
What reviewers like
- "I use the bike several times (1-2 miles/use) a day and it has improved my leg circulation/level of energy."
- "I love the fact that my arms are getting exercise, too."
- "If you want a machine that will last decades, give you as much of a workout as you're up to at a reasonable price the Airdyne is it."
- "My new bike gives me the same exceptional workout as the old bike did; however, the seat is much more comfortable."
- "It gives me a cardio workout without giving my joints a pounding."
What reviewers dislike
- "The Airdyne is heavy (because it's made well) and takes up a bit of room."
- "If you plan to use the bike on a carpet I'd recommend placing the bike on a rubber mat, or something similar to protect your carpet."
- "No water bottle cage - this is minor, and superfluous if you are really exercising."
- "The one thing I wish it did have is more seat adjustability."
- "I also do not like the tube mount of the computer display. It seems a bit harsh."
The Schwinn Airdyne AD4 is a great option for people looking for a full-body workout in the comfort of their own homes. You can exercise your arm and leg muscles with ease. The flywheel allows for smooth resistance, and all that pedaling even creates a nice breeze to cool you down.
It doesn't come with the latest and greatest features. If you want something with Bluetooth or even a water bottle holder, then you may need to look into something a bit newer. If you just need to work out efficiently, then this bike gets the job done.
Where to buy Schwinn Airdyne AD4
Amazon has the Schwinn Airdyne AD4 available for an incredible price. Amazon makes it easy to peruse a bunch of different stationary bikes, so you can determine which one is right for your needs. Plus, you can enjoy Amazon's fast, free shipping on your purchase!