The Schwinn Airdyne AD3 is a unique bike with a very retro aesthetic. The copper appearance may be desirable to some, but the real star of the show is the dual-action wind fan. It offers greater resistance the harder you pedal. If you want a solid workout bike, this bike does the job superbly.
Is the Schwinn Airdyne AD3 best for you?
The Schwinn Airdyne AD3 bike is unlike anything else out there. The unique copper frame really makes it stand out in a room. And since it doesn't need to be plugged in, you can place it anywhere in your home to work out.
The dual-action fan provides greater resistance when you pedal harder. You can keep track of your mileage and RPM on the console, which does require batteries. The AD3 has more of an old-school vibe to it, which some people love. Plus, it comes at a fraction of the price as other bikes in the Airdyne series. So if you see one available, then you may want to get a jump on it.
Consider Schwinn Airdyne AD3 if...
- You need infinite resistance levels. The resistance on the Schwinn Airdyne AD3 increases the harder you pedal. Therefore, you're in charge of how intense of a workout you receive.
- You want something affordable. The AD3 is an older exercise bike. It doesn't come with many bells and whistles. But if you just want something for light cardio, then you can often find one that doesn't cost much.
- You like not needing to plug it in. You don't need to set this bike next to an outlet. You can place it anywhere and just start pedaling.
Avoid Schwinn Airdyne AD3 if...
- You don't like the vintage look. The AD3 has a copper body. That definitely makes it show its age.
- You want a more advanced console. This bike boasts a digital timer and speedometer on the console. You're going to need batteries to make the console operational.
- You need greater lumbar support. While the seat comes with cushioning, there's no back. This may not make it suitable for people with back problems.
Schwinn Airdyne AD3 pros & cons
- Easy to set up
- Simple to operate
- Dual-action fan
- Older aesthetic
- Dated console
Construction and design
- Seat: The cushioned seat is adjustable to make pedaling feel better depending on your height.
- Pedals: This bike comes with basic pedals with no straps.
- Handlebars: The handlebars come with padding to make gripping feel better.
- Console: The console comes with a speedometer and digital timer that require batteries.
- Built-in Programs: There are no preset programs with this equipment.
Key Schwinn Airdyne AD3 Specs
Reasons to buy Schwinn Airdyne AD3?
- You want something different. They don't make exercise bikes like the AD3 anymore. If you want something with that classic, vintage look, then this is the bike to get .
- You don't need a bunch of fancy extras. Many modern bikes can sync to your smartphone. It can be a lot to deal with for some people, and it can be more confusing than it's worth. The AD3 just gives you a useful machine to work out on.
- You want a bike that lasts. The AD3 was built to last. There are fewer components on this bike compared to others like it, so there's less of a likelihood for something to break.
Reasons to avoid Schwinn Airdyne AD3?
- You don't want to hunt for a bike. It's hard to find the AD3 these days. If you really want one, then you're going to have to pounce on an auction when one becomes available.
- You want a warranty. In the event something does go wrong with this bike, you probably can't get it fixed. Warranties don't usually come with the AD3 anymore, especially if you buy one from a third party.
What real Schwinn Airdyne AD3 reviews say
We spent 18 hours scouring the web (reading over 253 customer reviews). Our conclusion? Schwinn Airdyne AD3 receives high praise! Our average consolidated user rating sits around a 4.6 - 4.74 (across several hundred reviews). Schwinn Airdyne AD3 scored higher, on average, compared to their closest competitors.
What reviewers like
- "This is a heavy duty professional grade machine you'd expect to find in a gym."
- "This is one beast of a workout machine."
- "I'm losing weight, I'm working out MORE, because its conveniently located in my house."
- "Easily the best cardio exercise I've ever had."
- "Assembly was pretty simple--just take your time and read the directions."
What reviewers dislike
- "I believe it should be able to accommodate a reading stand."
- "A clock would be an easy, inexpensive addition."
- "Seat is too hard, has very little give."
- "Read out is large but that of a cheap pocket calculator. Can't see it unless you're in well lit room."
- "I do believe you need to lean forward into the handles in order to exercise your upper body correctly."
The Schwinn Airdyne AD3 is a little off the beaten path. However, they tend to be among the cheaper exercise bikes out there. Ultimately, if you just want a bike to cycle on that offers a good amount of resistance, then this is really all you need.
It's lacking more features you expect to find with contemporary bikes. The seat also leaves something to be desired and could use a bit more padding or even a back. However, if those issues don't bother you, then it's an affordable way to built out your home gym.
Where to buy Schwinn Airdyne AD3
You can't find the Schwinn Airdyne AD3 bike on Amazon. However, there are others in the Airdyne line on the site. Check them out to see which one is suitable for your needs. They're all more advanced than the AD3, so you may be even more impressed with what you find.