The Bowflex Power Pro XTL is an old-school system that still gets the job done. With over 60 different exercises possible, you can work out every muscle system in your body. You can lift up to 210 pounds via the pulley rod system that offers an excellent range of weights for you to try out.
Is the Bowflex Power Pro XTL Home Gym best for you?
The Bowflex Power Pro XTL is great for people who don't necessarily need the latest and greatest technology. This model came out back in the '90s, but as many reviews attest to, it stands the test of time. Many reviews reveal trainees who bought this machine 20 years ago and still have it. Thanks to its steel frame, you can be confident in your investment.
It comes with everything you need to engage in a good variety of workouts. Some of the components you find on this model include a foot harness, lat pulldown, chest bar, leg-extension attachment, and squat attachment. You can work out your arms one day and your legs the next, effortlessly moving from one muscle group to the next.
Consider Bowflex Power Pro XTL if...
- You need customization. There are various extras you can purchase in addition to this basic machine. It's great if you get bored and need to find a way to keep yourself invested in your workouts.
- You want a good variety of workouts. There are over 60 different workouts you can utilize on the XTL. It allows you to have completely different regimens from one day to the next.
- You like cardiovascular workouts as well. The sliding seat rail is great for getting in some quick cardio for either a warm-up or cool-down.
Avoid Bowflex Power Pro XTL if...
- You need the latest and greatest. This model first came out in the late 1990s. It's not the most technologically-advanced model out there, and Bowflex has come out with sleeker machines since then.
- You want peace of mind. Over the years, this model has received 2 recalls due to faulty components. While Bowflex can send you repair kits to fix the issues, some people may not want the hassle.
- You prefer simpler assembly. Many people will be better off paying someone to put it together for you. If you decide to go down that route, then keep in mind it will cost you extra.
Bowflex Power Pro XTL pros & cons
- 210-pound weight resistance
- 65 different exercise options
- Adjustable bench
- Some issues in the past
- Older model
- What areas of the body does Bowflex Power Pro XTL target?
- Arms: Tricep kickbacks, French presses, and tricep pushdowns get your arms in shape.
- Legs: Standing hip flexion, ankle eversions, and leg curls help you look and feel your best.
- Chest: Some of the exercises you can perform on this machine include resisted punches, decline bench presses, chest flies, and so much more.
- Back: Perform lying lat flies, narrow pulldowns, and wide pulldowns with the XTL.
- Shoulders: Shoulder extensions, lateral shoulder raises, and rear deltoid rows are just some of the exercises capable with this Bowflex model.
- Core: Work your way toward a six-pack with reverse abdominal crunches, resisted reverse crunches, and various other workouts.
Is the Bowflex Power Pro XTL easy to use?
It's likely going to take you several hours to put it together. You can save yourself the hassle by getting some help or paying someone else to do it. You want to make sure you follow the instructions carefully as these machines have been recalled in the past for issues.
Once it's up-and-running, you can effortlessly move from one exercise to the next. It's a breeze to move from one pulley system to the next to target different muscle groups in a single session.
Key Bowflex Power Pro XTL Specs
Reasons to buy Bowflex Power Pro XTL?
- You need to save money. Since it's older, you can buy the Bowflex Power Pro XTL for a few hundred dollars. This is in contrast to the thousands of dollars you may have to spend for something more advanced.
- You value durability. Many people who bought an XTL back in the '90s still have them to this day. It's built to last, so you can be confident yours is going to be around for a while.
- You live in tight quarters. Since it doesn't have a cage design, the XTL doesn't take up as much space in your home. It's a solid choice for people who live in smaller houses or apartments.
Reasons to avoid Bowflex Power Pro XTL?
- You want to avoid buying used. Considering its age, it's tough to come by a brand new Bowflex Power Pro XTL. You can find them used at lower prices, but you never quite know what kind of condition you're getting.
What real Bowflex Power Pro XTL reviews say
We spent 18 hours scouring the web (reading over 253 customer reviews). Our conclusion? Bowflex Power Pro XTL receives high praise! Our average consolidated user rating sits around a 4.6 - 4.8 (across several hundred reviews). Bowflex Power Pro XTL scored higher, on average, compared to their closest competitors.
What reviewers like
- "I originally bought this product about 12 years ago. I use it 3-4 times a week."
- "Fits perfectly, easy to install."
- "High quality so it is not likely to break. Rods fit in easily."
- "There were very few machine exercises that I couldn't perform with this."
- "Definitely worth the money. Easy to set up and change between the exercises."
What reviewers dislike
- "It's a bit cumbersome, but that's just part of the machine."
- "Hard to find cables for these older machines."
- "Was missing a couple of end caps and bolts but was easily made to work."
- "BRACKETS WORK FINE BUT CHECK YOUR BOLTS [BEFORE] USING."
- "After fourteen years the power rods are showing wear."
The Bowflex Power Pro XTL may show its age a bit, but it's still a solid workout machine. The fact you can perform over 60 exercises with it makes it a more well-rounded item than some of the home gyms you find made today. Not only that, it's compact size makes it usable to a greater variety of trainees.
However, several recalls have been issued for it over the years may give you some pause. But, if you buy one used, there's a good chance it's already been outfitted with the repair kit. Ultimately, you can get an affordable model from the same brand by purchasing the Bowflex PR1000 if you want greater peace of mind.
Where to buy Bowflex Power Pro XTL
Amazon may not have the Bowflex Power Pro XTL, but it has various other home gyms from Bowflex. You can effortlessly compare and contrast each model to find one that works for you.